Finishing Sixth Form & Beauty Therapy Stigma ❣

Hey guys, so today i wanted to talk about a couple of things. First being, I've finished sixth form now. I had my last day yesterday, May 26th. I never really enjoyed sixth form, it was something i felt pressured into doing because when i use to say i wanted to study beauty therapy people use to laugh and assume i was "Dumb". So i decided to prove a point, and do sixth form, so two years later I'm finally finished and i cannot tell you how happy that makes me.

Personally i hated sixth form, if it wasn't for my amazing group of friends i probably would've dropped out. I'm a clever girl, i won't deny myself of that, BUT i didn't enjoy A-Levels, i started out first year studying English Literature, Sociology, Health & Social care and Child's Play Learning & Development. After 6 months of first year, i dropped Child's Play, i didn't really enjoy it like i thought i would. There was so much writing and it was heavily coursework based, you needed to know lots of theories and you also had to fit in work experience, this was all way to much for me alongside my other 3 heavy writing based subjects too, so i decided to drop Child's play.

Six months into Sixth form was when i realised that it really wasn't for me, i wasn't enjoying my English or Sociology courses and they were my two favourite subjects at GCSE, however at A-Level i didn't enjoy them at all. After first year, we sat exams and i actually failed English Literature, which was a big shock and i was super embarrassed because i got a grade B at GCSE so i didn't expect myself to fail it. But it was a really hard course, i didn't enjoy it therefore i probably didn't put my all into it because i really struggled to find it interesting.

Going into second year of sixth form, i was now only doing Sociology and Health & Social Care, so i had to pick up another A.S level or A-Level otherwise i wouldn't of been able to stay on at sixth form. At this point i felt like just dropping out then, but i thought to myself no Chloe, stick at it. I did really enjoy Health & Social Care it ended up being my favourite subject, i enjoyed it, i enjoyed learning about it and i didn't mind doing all of the coursework despite the fact there was loads of it. So i told myself i wasn't going to drop out because i wanted to carry on and at least get my Level 3 qualification in Health & Social Care. So i stuck at it, and i had to pick up a subject, there was limited subjects i could chose from because of my time table so i ended up just picking A.S Media. Which may i add was another big mistake haha, i hated it. I found it so boring, one of my teachers spoke down to me like i was the stupidest thing on earth, which did my head in so i never use to go in for his lessons. I just picked it up because i had too, i said from the beginning i wasn't going to try hard with it because i wanted to do well in my other subjects not AS Media.

Health & Social Care was my favourite subject, i enjoyed it a lot. First year was great, i did all my work, submitted it and was quite organised. At the end of first year i got a Distinction so i was super happy with that because i had definitely put the work in to deserve that grade. However i always had a constant battle with one of my Health & Social teachers, majority of my class had this same battle with the teacher. One of my teachers just didn't mark my work, didn't give me improvements i needed to make, didn't teach, just didn't really seem to be doing anything. Then all of a sudden the teacher would say there was a deadline of like the following week, then all of a sudden we'd all have to rush to get it in and then the teacher would mark it a couple of days before the deadline and give it back with loads of improvements, which was an absolute joke. I think it's wrong, i didn't get the help or support i needed from that particular teacher at all, and i don't think many other people in my class did either.

So I've finally left sixth form, I've sat my Media exam, i have three Sociology exams in June and then I'll be done forever, woo! My Health & Social coursework was moderated on the 26th of May, so i won't find out what grade i got until results day in August, but i really hope i get a Distinction star as i know i deserve it.

So what really bugs me and what i want to talk about is the stigma around studying beauty therapy at college, when i so badly wanted to do that at the end of year 11 people told me it was a "Btec" subject and would mock me for wanting to do it. They'd also say only dumb people do beauty therapy because they aren't clever enough to do anything else, which is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know why i listened to others and let other peoples opinions influence me, but i did and so i went to Sixth Form.

I have extremely supportive parents, my mum and dad are my absolute world. They support me in whatever weird and wonderful things i want to do, my mum and dad came with me to look around my local college and we looked at all the beauty therapy facilities and my mum and dad had said to me they would pay for my uniform and kit and were super supportive never once in my life have they made me feel stupid or like what i want to do is invalid.

My parents are amazing, they have three children and we're all super different. My older sister Emma, is the most kind hearted person you'd ever meet, she's super intelligent and she's going to be a mummy, eeeeeeek (I'm going to be an aunty) i already know now that she will be the best mum. She's always been super caring, she's got such a big heart and she is one of my best friends. My older brother Karl, well he is the sh** if i do say so myself, hah he's amazing, he works super hard all the time. He's a rugby player in France, he moved away out there a few years ago now, he had to make new friends and learn the language. He is incredible, he is now fluent in French and he makes us all proud with how determined he is. As for my mum and dad, i don't even have the words, they're just amazing, they have always supported us all in whatever we do, they have always gone above and beyond to ensure we're all happy and healthy.

I think if there is something i have learnt over the last couple of years, it's definitely not to care what others thing. You can be a beauty therapist and be super intelligent, you can be a makeup artist and be clever, you can be whatever you want to be if you really want it. Other peoples opinions of you are invalid, if they're negative they clearly don't care enough about you to want you to do what makes you happy, and you don't need negative people in your life. Life is short, i never realised that, you spend your whole life wanted to grow up, and I'm only 18 years old but i have no idea where the last 18 years have gone. I'm lucky to be surrounded by an amazing family unit, who're all incredible and make me so happy and make me laugh on a daily basis. I have loads of supportive people in my life, my friends, my family and of course my lovely boyfriend Harv and they are the only people i want to make happy and proud and they are all always so supportive. So maybe it's time for me to do something for me, instead of to prove a point to others. I think I'm going to enrol in doing a beauty therapy course in September, people can say I'm dumb or think I'm stupid, because the truth is i really don't care what people think anymore.

You only live once, live your life the way you want to, be happy, make memories, spend time with your friends and families and never hold grudges because you never know when the last time you'll see someone will be. Sorry for the rant, and rambling on a bit, but i had to voice my feelings and opinions towards Sixth form and beauty therapy. Anyways guys, be sure to check out my Instagram which is @_beautybychlo and keep your eye on my blog, I'll have lots of posts coming over the next few weeks. ❣

Comments